Part-6 Encourage the Thrill of Curating for Engaging Screenagers

Dr Warren sharing Engaging Screenagers The CAES International Conference

Part-6 Encourage the Thrill of Curating for Engaging Screenagers

Did you ever have that thrill of finding something you were searching for?
Don’t you remember that thrill of finding something that was even better than you thought?
Wouldn’t it be great to teach our Engaging Screenagers to learn like that?
Yesterday I saw a great quote from O. E. Wilson:
“We are drowning in information, while starving for wisdom. The world henceforth will be run by synthesizers, people able to put together the right information at the right time, think critically about it, and make important choices wisely.”
What if students could learn to synthesize information as they were learning?
I first started getting this thrill in learning when I was in graduate school.
Having tried many different techniques to improve engagement in my courses, I’ve found curating is one of the more effective engagement learning methods.

Although including games in learning can temporarily raise the energy and excitement in the classroom, that intensity quickly turns to stress if too much gaming goes past The Tipping Point as Malcolm Gladwell asserts.
Back in 2010 I started asking my Engaging Screenagers to search for (now we call it curating) evidence to support their main points in speeches using their mobile devices.
Back then, I was teaching Mass Communication and I would frequently ask students about their media usage and my observations were correct that they were curating (for entertainment) on Facebook, etc., for several hours every day.
They would write about what they found on paper worksheets, give them to me, and wait until the following class to get my feedback.
With time lag and the massive effort on my part, this wasn’t too efficient. (junk engagement)
That grew into groups of learners working together to curate evidence for their group projects.
Each group member would curate their part and then write her or his details on a single piece of paper and then I would check it them after class. Again, this wasn’t exactly efficient. (junk engagement)
As I started using Google Forms as eWorkbooks, this process was suddenly much more efficient, as they could curate their evidence as well as their source URLs, so I could see (in 1 or 2 columns in the real-time responses spreadsheet) their work when they were still in the classroom.



This allowed me the opportunity to show a few examples that synthesized well with the learning, and also, I could individually support those who seemed behind or confused. 
Now, at the beginning of the semester, I have students chose a topic that is of interest to them (or their dream job) and throughout the semester, using Google Forms eWorkbooks, they curate ideas, facts, images, videos, etc., that is related to learning material and synthesized into their interests. (optimal engagement)
This exercise noticeably changed the dynamic of the class (once I learned some best practices, but more about those struggles in a future blog,) as learners showed eagerness to get the learning content so they could go curate items that synthesize the learning into their interests. (optimal engagement)
Another interesting phenomenon occurred as many of the less active students (not all of them) started getting into the exercises, asking many more questions, and sharing their curating with those around them. (optimal engagement)
My satisfaction in teaching has gone way up as I changed my role of the expert in front to that of guide who supports their curating and synthesizing, as this exercise allows (encourages?) them to ask so many more questions. (optimal engagement)
Dr Warren sharing Engaging Screenagers The CAES International Conference
Dr Warren sharing Engaging Screenagers The CAES International Conference








As I continually walk around the classroom to answer questions, I can double check to they are ‘on task’, but I rarely have to bring them back to their task because they are so engaged.
At first I was concerned that curating wouldn’t work so well, but one day a student told me, “We do this all day every day on Facebook, Instagram, and textingso this is natural for us.
What keeps them going? Is it the surprise is it the challenge of finding something new? Is it the group activity? 

A few years ago I was talking to my aunt about why she loved to travel and she said, “You never know what you are going to find right around that next corner.
I think that might similar to what engages the students so well.
Again, as I always say, I believe human beings have a natural curiosity, and when guided in a positive way, they can flourish beyond their own self limiting beliefs.
As Dale Carnegie wrote, “look for and expect the best from others,” and I firmly believe those others will do great things.

As as students were curating, I folded in mini learnings on digital literacy, cyber citizenship, and digital self discipline so the students would have added value in their experiences curating with mobile devices.
Although we teach these beginning in primary school now, back then many of the students told me those mini learnings were their first exposures to these digital concepts.
Aren’t Engaging Screenagers already using their devices to learn and curate based on their interests?
Isn’t it the teachers who are not encouraging Engaging Screenagers to learn in a way that is already comfortable for them to learn?
Wouldn’t it be a shame for those fabulously curious beings to have that talent stifled so as they grow older they have little curiosity and passion for learning?

Encourage curiosity through curation for lifelong learning.

You can see examples of screen innovations for Optimal Experiences at JOIN THE CURATION: Google+.
Remember to engage tomorrow.
Following with you.
Keep it simple.
All the Best, Warren
SOCIAL
Dr Warren LINGER © 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thinking/Talking vs. Trying/Feedback: Engaging Screenagers

7 Keys Engaging Screenagers Best Improve Their Learning Time

6 Loves-Teachers and Students Analytics Engaging Screenagers